Wanita Semasa

My Journey To Islam (Part I)

By Sarah Allen*

The first Ramadan I fasted I was not actually a Muslim. I had been researching the religion for approximately a year when Ramadan came around. After researching about Islam I became increasingly interested in a deen that appeared to be so perfect.

My life slowly began to change, and I was completely oblivious to it. My dress became more modest, my character more humble. I finally felt that I had found peace. Once I realized why I had changed, I made the decision to revert to Islam. It became prominent that I was about to make a huge change to not only my life, but my loved ones around me. So I decided to take the steps to reverting slow and graciously.

When I realized Ramadan was coming around, I saw a perfect opportunity at putting my new found faith and curiosity to practice. I decided to fast. My expectations of Ramadan lived up to what I expected. I thought it would be extremely difficult to go the entire day without food or water and I was right! Fasting during summer was the most difficult discipline I had ever experienced, but also the most rewarding.

The thing I did not expect when I fasted was the feeling you experience. To see those around you eating, completely unaware of the sacrifice you are making, only makes your determination stronger. I thought of the other brothers and sisters around the globe doing exactly as I was, giving up food and water for the sake of Allah. It is the most incredible feeling you can experience.

I found the growth you undergo whilst fasting is phenomenal. You feel like a stronger person who has control over their actions and body, and it seems you have the power and determination to do anything. All of your bad habits disintegrate and you are left with what feels like a new being. You are spiritually stronger, physically disciplined and more socially aware of what is going on around you.

Knowing what it feels like to be unable to eat gives you a greater appreciation for the things we usually take for granted, such as food and water. These have come to be things we expect, we do not think of the widowed sister struggling to feed her young, or the brother trying to make ends meet.

The thing I found to love the most about Ramadan was the fact that no matter how strict one may practice throughout the year, all Muslims fast during the month, this strengthens the Ummah, and the feeling of unity is indescribable. Fasting as a non Muslim to fasting as a Muslim I have found that not much has changed, because my intention is still the same, I still fast the same way, however now I am more aware of the technicalities and duties.

For anyone fasting their first Ramadan I wish you all the best.

* Sarah Allen is a 19-year-old Australian. She has lived her entire life in Sydney and became Muslim in January 2005 after she researched Islam for 3 years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home